Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Potato and watercress soup, in preparation for fall that might never come to Houston

After all the cold weather talk I have heard from my friends back North I decided I needed soup. It can be cheap and healthy and I would like make soup more often as a way to stretch our grocery dollar. So I pulled out my New England Soup Factory cook book, a book I got at Costco last year and pursued the pages. Potato-Watercress soup seemed like a good option that would be inexpensive but not too heavy. It is still 90 degrees here in Houston.
I thought I might have a hard time finding watercress but I am very lucky to drive by a Super HMart on my way to and from Aveline's school. It is an amazing store. Cheap produce and an amazing seafood section.
It's a simple soup really cook the onions, celery, and garlic in butter. Then add the potatoes, and enough chicken stock to cover the potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
Add the watercress and stir until wilted. Mix in the cream Worcestershire sauce Tabasco and season with salt and pepper.


Blend until smooth. And warm through. I served it with a big piece of whole wheat country bread. Aveline and Colette both loved it and Aveline even dipped her bread in the soup.
Potato-Watercress Soup
New England Soup Factory by Marjorie Druker & Clara Silverstein
Makes 8 to 10 servings

2 tbls butter
1 large Spanish onion peeled and diced
3 ribs celery, diced
3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
5 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1-2 quarts chicken stock
2 bunches watercress
2 cups light cream
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
3 dashes Tabasco sauce
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

In a stockpot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the potatoes and pour in the chicken stock until the potatoes are submerged. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium high and simmer until potatoes are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the watercress. Stir until wilted. Add the cream, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper. Puree the soup in the pot using a hand blender or working in batches with a regular blender until smooth. Return the pot to medium-high heat and simmer for an additional 3 minutes to warm through.

2 comments:

strawberriesinparis said...

Oh that looks good!! I am so happy you are blogging!!

Keswickian said...

Aren't you just the blogger lady of leisure :-) YUM!! wish I was serving that to your hubby tonight on this rainy day.